Red Flags on Paid Test Days? Avoiding Bad Hires
Hey everyone,
I’m a camera operator, Tyler, and I’m starting to take on more lead DP/director roles for smaller projects. I just got a gig shooting some promos with my V-RAPTOR XL and a set of primes, and I’m looking to bring on a couple of assistants. The budget is tight, so I’ve been looking at some newer folks who are eager to learn, but I also know the saying about 'you get what you pay for.'
I'm planning on doing a paid test day, maybe a simple pick-up shot or b-roll sequence, to see how people work before committing to the main shoot. What specific red flags should I be looking for during this test? Beyond just technical ability with a SkyPanel X or moving sticks, what are the behavioral or professional signs that someone might end up costing me more time or money down the line, even if their day rate is low? I want to avoid a hire that creates more problems than they solve. Thanks for any insight!