LUT Pipeline & CDL Management: Common Mistakes to Avoid?

Posted by Derek Huang in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone, Derek here. I'm a 1st AC, usually on projects shooting with an ALEXA 35 or V-RAPTOR XL. I've always followed the DP's lead on LUTs, but I'm really trying to get a deeper understanding of managing the pipeline myself, especially as more productions want tighter control from prep through post.

Lately, I've been experimenting with applying different show LUTs in camera (using ARRI's new workflow, or RED's IPP2 setup) and trying to really nail down CDL values on set. My goal is to ensure a smooth handoff and consistent look, but I know there's a steep learning curve here.

For those of you with serious experience in managing LUT pipelines, CDLs, and overall color governance on set, what are some of the most common, painful mistakes you've seen or made yourselves? What should someone like me, just getting serious about this, absolutely avoid doing?

More in Cinematography