Pre-Sales Strategy in the New Distribution Landscape?
Hey everyone,
Marcus Johnson here. I'm a Director/Writer, and I'm currently trying to package a feature we're really excited about, a character-driven sci-fi thriller. We've got a great script, some attachments, and are starting to look seriously at the financing structure, particularly leaning on pre-sales as a significant piece of the puzzle.
However, I'm finding myself wondering how that strategy has really shifted recently. With what people are calling 'Weaponized Distribution' becoming more prevalent, where streamers are often going direct or taking smaller chunks of rights, and fewer of those big global buyout deals happening, it feels like the ground beneath pre-sales has moved.
Historically, you'd carve up the world and sell territories, sometimes getting those big streamer checks upfront. Now, it feels... different. Are you guys still relying on pre-sales in the same way, or has the approach to structuring those deals, identifying buyers, and even the valuation of territories fundamentally changed? What's the new playbook here?