Tech Scouts on Fast/Low-Budget Projects - When to Deviate?

Posted by Mei-Lin Chow in Script Breakdown & Scheduling 1 views · 4 replies

Hey everyone, Mei-Lin here, Production Coordinator on a tight indie feature. I'm trying to wrap my head around tech scouts. Every production guide I've read emphasizes the importance of a thorough scout with ALL department heads present, DP, Gaffer, Key Grip, Art Director, Costume, Sound, AD, you name it. It makes total sense for a smooth production.

However, on smaller, faster-paced shoots, or when the budget is really constrained, getting everyone's schedules to align for a full day scout can be a logistical nightmare, not to mention the cost of paying everyone for that day. I've tried to facilitate these full scouts, but often we end up with only a few key people, or have to do multiple smaller scouts, which feels inefficient.

So, my genuine question is: when does this formal, 'textbook' approach to tech scouts NOT work for a fast-paced or low-budget production? What compromises are typically made, and what's the minimum viable scout you aim for without sacrificing too much efficiency down the line?

More in Script Breakdown & Scheduling