Stunt Coordination: Planned Perfection vs. Spontaneous Magic on Fast Sets

Posted by Ben Castillo in Directing 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Ben Castillo, a stunt coordinator, and I've been wrestling with something on my current project, a gritty action film. We pre-viz everything meticulously, break down every beat, and rehearse until it's second nature. That's the playbook, right? But sometimes, in the moment, an actor does something unexpected, something brilliant that wasn't in the choreography but elevates the scene immensely.

My instinct is to capture that lightning in a bottle. The problem is, it usually means blowing past our planned blocking or shooting order, which then impacts the schedule, lighting, and camera setups for the rest of the day. I try to make quick adjustments, but it's a juggling act.

So, my genuine question is: On a fast-paced set, how do you seasoned coordinators decide when to abandon a meticulously planned stunt or shot to chase that spontaneous 'actor magic,' and crucially, how do you manage the inevitable schedule ripple effect?

More in Directing