Lighting Diverse Skin Tones: Tech, Culture, and Collaboration, My Experience?
Hey everyone,
I'm Raj, a focus puller, and I've been thinking a lot about the evolving conversation around lighting diverse skin tones. It's something I genuinely want to improve on, especially as more projects focus on authentic representation.
Lately, I’ve been on a few gigs, one with an ALEXA Mini and another with a V-RAPTOR XL, using everything from an LS 600d Pro to a Forza 720B. I’m noticing directors and DPs are much more conscious about spill, fill, and finding that sweet spot for every actor in the frame, beyond just the 'hero' key light. I try to ensure my marks are spot-on so we don't lose that precious detail. I've seen some DPs use diffusion I hadn't considered before, or bounce differently.
What are your experiences? How have recent technological advancements (like new fixtures or camera dynamic range) and these ongoing cultural conversations reshaped your on-set practices and your collaboration with directors and DPs regarding representation in lighting?