Adapting Pre-Launch Timelines: DIT Perspective

Posted by Terrence Cole in Cinematography 0 views · 2 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Terrence, a working DIT, and I've been wrestling with how to best structure pre-launch for smaller projects. Most guides push for a 6-12 week pre-launch phase, which feels pretty solid for bigger features. However, when I'm working on a quicker turnaround commercial, say a two-day shoot using an AMIRA and SkyPanel S60-C lights, that timeline often shrinks dramatically.

My usual approach has been to compress everything: rapid checksum verification tests, quickly dial in CDL pipelines, and get LMTs set up in a day or two before principal photography. It works, but it feels like I'm always scrambling, and there's little room for error or iterating on a Look for the DP.

For those of you on tighter schedules, perhaps with an FX9 or LUMIX S1H and a handful of Forza 500 IIs, how have you practically adapted that recommended 6-12 week pre-launch window to fit your project's compressed timeline and resource limitations?

More in Cinematography