Integrating Midjourney AI art into traditional production design (without stepping on toes!)

Posted by Amara Okafor in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I’m a documentary filmmaker, Amara Okafor here. I've been experimenting with Midjourney for creating mood boards and concept art for some of my more abstract or stylized projects, think historical reenactments or speculative sequences. On my last short, shot on a KOMODO with a couple of LS 300x lights, I found it brilliant for quickly visualizing complex set elements and costume ideas.

My question is, how do you integrate this kind of AI-generated art into a traditional production design workflow without making your human artists (production designer, art director, illustrators) feel undermined or like their roles are being lessened? I want to use it as a powerful communication tool and a starting point, not a replacement. I’m genuinely curious about best practices on this, what have you found works well? How do you present it and frame it so it enhances their process?

More in Cinematography