Scene-Referred Workflow: LUTs vs. Raw Grading, What's your balance?

Posted by Liam Hartigan in Cinematography 0 views · 4 replies

Hey everyone, Liam Hartigan here, working as a focus puller. I've been wrestling with how best to approach scene-referred thinking in my own projects, particularly when I jump into the grade. I'm currently cutting a short documentary shot mostly on an FX3, with some B-roll from a C70, and I'm trying to figure out the most effective post pipeline.

Historically, I've leaned on basic display LUTs for dailies and then done more hands-on grading, but I'm curious if I'm leaving too much on the table by not integrating a scene-referred approach earlier or more deeply. Are you guys primarily relying on specific technical LUTs from the camera manufacturer or custom ones to establish a scene-referred baseline before creative grading? Or are you pushing more towards manual grading directly from the raw log data, building the look from scratch? What’s your personal balance between practical speed on tight turnarounds and theoretical purity in your workflow?

More in Cinematography