DP's perspective: How AI tools reshape editing decisions?
Hey everyone, Rohan here. I'm a DP, usually behind an ALEXA 35 or Mini LF, lighting with SkyPanel X and Orbiter units. I'm curious about something I've been hearing and seeing more of lately, especially in post-production conversations.
There's this idea circulating that editors are becoming 'artist-technologists' with all the AI advancements. From my side, I've noticed things like AI-driven de-noising on location sound captured with my MKH 416, or sometimes even rough B-roll suggestions from AI during the edit of a commercial I recently shot. It's subtle, but it feels like it might be impacting how editors approach their craft.
Five years ago, my workflow was pretty standard. Now, I'm wondering how these tools, like AI for audio cleanup or even preliminary B-roll generation, are actually shifting your day-to-day creative decision-making. Are you finding yourself framing differently on set, knowing what's possible in post? Or is it more about freeing up time for bigger creative choices? I'd love to hear your experiences.