Location Scouting for Sound: What's Your Tech Edge Now?

Posted by Priyanka Gill in Post-Production 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Priyanka Gill, a Line Producer currently juggling a couple of narrative shorts and an indie feature. We're always trying to streamline our workflows, and lately I've been thinking a lot about sound scouting. Historically, it's been a lot of 'listen and hope' or relying heavily on the sound mixer once we're on set. We're shooting primarily on an ALEXA Mini and a KOMODO, so not quite blockbuster budget, but we want good sound.

With all the new tech out there, from advanced phone apps to portable sound analysis tools, I'm genuinely curious: how has new technology changed or improved your approach to scouting locations specifically for sound, long before the camera department even thinks about a take? Are there any tools you swear by now? I've dabbled with some basic decibel meter apps on my phone, but I feel like I'm missing a trick here. Would love to hear what's working for you all.

More in Post-Production