When do photo lenses beat cine in run-and-gun doc work?
Hey everyone,
I'm Tyler, a camera op usually working on commercial and narrative projects. We're often on an ALEXA Mini or a V-RAPTOR XL with a full cine prime set, and it's fantastic. However, I've been doing more documentary and corporate work lately, often solo or with a small crew. I'm usually rocking an FX6 or an FX3 for this, and the focus is often on speed.
The 'textbook' answer is always dedicated cine lenses for their consistent mechanics and lack of breathing. But in those fast-paced, unscripted doc or run-and-gun scenarios, I'm finding myself questioning that. I've tried using a SmallHD monitor with focus peaking, but manual focus on a fast-moving subject can be tricky, especially with a gimbal or handheld.
So, in what specific real-world situations have you found that the autofocus and lighter weight of a high-quality photo lens, even with its focus breathing, becomes the unequivocally superior practical choice over dedicated cine glass?