Power Planning in the LED/Battery Era: Gens vs. Tie-ins?

Posted by Derek Huang in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Derek, a 1st AC, and I've been really wrestling with location power planning lately. It seems like every new show, I'm seeing more and more efficient LED lights like SkyPanel S60-Cs and Forza 720Bs. Couple that with cameras like the ALEXA 35 or VENICE 2, which are often run on block batteries, and I'm wondering how others are adapting.

On a recent commercial, we were trying to power quite a few of these lights, and the gaffer brought out a smaller, inverter generator. It was remarkably quiet compared to the older ones. It made me think: are these smaller gensets actually becoming a viable option for more substantial setups now, or are we still firmly in tie-in territory for anything beyond a few tubes and a KOMODO-X?

I’ve primarily worked on projects where tie-ins are the norm for anything serious. Even with the newer tech, it feels like the safest bet. But with the increasing pressure on budgets and the desire for quicker setups, I'm curious if anyone has successfully shifted more towards modern, smaller generators for the bulk of their power needs. When do you decide to go with a generator vs. a full tie-in?

More in Cinematography