Oners Gone Wrong: Salvaging Complex Blocking

Posted by Antoine Marsh in Cinematography 0 views · 0 replies

Hey everyone,

Antoine Marsh here, a working operator trying to level up my game. I'm genuinely curious about complex blocking sequences and those ambitious 'oner' shots. We spend days, sometimes weeks, planning these things, meticulous marks, precise focus pulls, perfectly timed light cues with our SkyPanel X units, the whole nine yards.

But I know even the best plans can crater on set. What's the real breaking point for you? Is it an actor consistently missing a mark, a prop not reacting as expected, or an unexpected reflection on a KOMODO-X that just throws everything off? I've been on a few where a minor timing issue felt like it cascaded into a disaster, forcing us to chop it up into smaller pieces, losing some of that intended magic.

When you've poured so much effort into a sequence and it starts to crumble, what's your go-to process for adapting and salvaging the scene without totally scrapping the vision? Looking for practical, on-the-fly strategies.

More in Cinematography