Adapting the 'Metaphorical Breakdown' - Seeking Advice from the Community
Hey everyone,
I'm Antoine, a Camera Op, currently prepping for a narrative short on my ALEXA Mini. I've been diving into this 'Metaphorical Breakdown' concept I've heard about, essentially breaking down scenes into emotional beats and then translating that directly into camera choices. On paper, it's incredibly structured and analytical, which makes a lot of sense.
However, my personal style tends to be more intuitive on set. I often find my best shots come from feeling the scene's rhythm and reacting with the camera, letting the framing evolve. I've tried applying the breakdown rigorously for a few scenes, marking every lens change, every crane move, even the specific LS 600d Pro placement, but it feels a bit stifling, almost pre-determining everything before the magic happens.
For those of you who use this method, or something similar, how have you adapted it to fit your personal, more intuitive style without losing the benefits of that structured analysis? Do you just use it as a starting point, or is there a way to blend the two?