DP's Query: Integrating AI Concept Art (Midjourney) with Human Production Design?
Hey DPs and Production Designers,
I'm Tanya, a DP, and I'm grappling with something on my current project, a sci-fi indie feature. We're in pre-production, aiming for a distinctive visual style, and my director is keen on using Midjourney for initial concept art. We've got some incredible mood boards already, generated quickly and showing fantastic potential.
My concern is how to bridge this AI output with our very talented production design team. I usually rely on them for initial sketches, breakdowns, and then detailed builds, working closely with them on things like color palette and light placement, sometimes even scouting with a C70 or ALEXA Mini for reference. I'm worried about handing them AI images that might feel too prescriptive or, worse, undermine their creative input.
We've tried using the AI art purely for mood, but then the director keeps pushing for direct translation, bypassing early human design stages. How do you integrate these powerful AI tools effectively without stepping on the toes of your human artists and disrupting their traditional workflow? I want to enhance, not replace, their brilliance.
Any thoughts or practical approaches are hugely appreciated.