Budget Top Sheet Rookie Mistakes: What Was Yours?

Posted by Mei-Lin Chow in Cinematography 0 views · 0 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Mei-Lin, a Production Coordinator, and I've been wrestling with budget top sheets lately. My current project is a narrative short, and while I feel like I'm grasping the overall structure, diving into the nitty-gritty of allocation is proving to be a learning curve. I've tried to be really granular, breaking down every potential cost, but then I worry I'm either missing a huge 'bucket' or dedicating too much to something that ultimately won't be a significant expense.

It makes me think back to when you were first starting out and trying to get your head around these. For those of you with more experience, what was the biggest mistake you made when first trying to understand or create a budget top sheet? Was it severely underestimating a crucial area like post-production sound, or perhaps over-allocating to a department that really didn't need the buffer? I'm genuinely curious to hear what caught you off guard.

More in Cinematography