Wardrobe Continuity for Beginners: Avoiding Common Pitfalls?
Hey everyone,
Nadine Rousseau here, a script supervisor working on a lower-budget indie feature. We're running pretty lean, and I've found myself stepping in to help oversee some of the wardrobe continuity, which is a new hat for me in this capacity. I'm typically focused on action and dialogue, but the AD asked me to lend a hand with the costume side of things, especially for some of our less experienced PAs.
I'm trying to set up a robust system for them, using detailed notes and photo logs, but I'm keenly aware of how quickly things can go sideways. For those of you who've been around the block, especially wardrobe supervisors or experienced script supervisors: what are some of the most common mistakes you've seen beginners make? I'm thinking specifically about photo documentation, detailed logging, or mismanaging multiples and aging/breakdown. More importantly, what's one critical piece of advice you'd give to avoid a continuity nightmare? Any insights would be hugely appreciated!