Navigating Software Costs: Resolve vs. Adobe Subscriptions + AI Plugins on Shrinking Budgets?

Posted by Jordan Kemp in Cinematography 0 views · 1 replies

Hey everyone, Jordan here. I'm an aerial cinematographer, typically flying an ALEXA 35 or sometimes a Mini LF for commercials and narrative work. Lately, with budgets tightening across the board, I'm finding myself scrutinizing every expense, and software is a big one.

Historically, I've been a Premiere Pro user for editing, often incorporating After Effects for motion graphics, and sometimes Lumetri for a quick grade before sending it off to a dedicated colorist. I've also started experimenting with various AI plugins for things like noise reduction or upscaling, which are another subscription on top.

I'm looking at DaVinci Resolve more and more, especially since it's so powerful and free. I've done some basic edits in it, but a full transition feels daunting. How are you all balancing the power of free tools like Resolve against the ingrained workflows and recurring costs of Adobe subscriptions, especially when adding AI plugins into the mix? What's your strategy for maximizing value without breaking the bank on software when project rates are getting squeezed?

More in Cinematography