Blending Wiseman/Interrotron for my sound workflow?
Hey everyone,
I’m Erik, a working Sound Mixer, and I've been really grappling with how to approach my role in more observational or direct-address interview scenarios. I'm currently on a documentary project focused on local community leaders, and it’s a mix of following them around and more structured sit-downs.
I’ve read about the Wiseman Method for fly-on-the-wall observational work, aiming for minimal interference, and then the Interrotron for those direct-to-camera, intimate interviews. My challenge is trying to merge or adapt these for my specific sound-gathering workflow. How do I maintain that observational purity while still getting clean audio, or facilitate the Interrotron setup without my boom pole being a distraction?
For the observational stuff, I often find myself trying to anticipate where they'll go, mic'ing environments rather than just people, but it feels like a compromise. For direct address, I want them fully immersed, not worried about the lav or boom.
So, for those of you who've worked with these kinds of approaches, how have you personally blended or adapted techniques like the Wiseman Method or the Interrotron into your own sound recording and interview workflow?