BRAW, M-series, and the Evolving RAW Workflow: Shifting Cost/Benefit?
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking a lot lately about how much the RAW landscape has changed, especially with the rise of formats like BRAW and the insane processing power in M-series Macs. I remember when shooting RAW was a much heavier lift in terms of storage and post-production grunt work, often reserved for high-end projects on an ALEXA Mini where the budget could absorb it.
Now, with cameras like the C70 and even some of the new Blackmagic options offering compressed RAW, and my M1 Max chugging through footage that used to bog down far more powerful workstations, it feels like the barrier to entry has significantly lowered. For projects where I might have opted for high-bitrate ProRes previously, I'm finding myself considering RAW more and more.
Has this shift altered your cost-benefit analysis for shooting RAW in the last couple of years? Are you finding yourselves using it more frequently across different project types, or are there still clear lines where it just doesn't make sense?