Visual Bible Rigidity: When Does It Hinder, Not Help?
Hey everyone, Luis, Location Manager here. I'm hitting a wall with something that keeps popping up on projects, and I could really use some collective wisdom.
On increasingly large productions, there's always a push for a completely locked visual bible and incredibly strict change order protocols. On paper, it makes sense for logistics and budgeting. We aim for efficiency, no surprises. But I've been on a few shows recently where we hit a snag on location, or a new idea sparks that would genuinely elevate a scene's visual impact (a slightly different angle, a prop reposition, leveraging an unexpected weather event) only to be shut down cold because it wasn't in 'the bible.'
My question is: at what point does this stringent adherence to a pre-approved visual plan become counterproductive? When does it stifle the kind of on-set creativity that could actually make the film better, rather than just keeping us on schedule?