Hard-Wired SDI Backup: When Does It Break Down? (Seeking Alternatives)
Hey everyone,
I'm a location manager usually dealing with the bigger picture, but I'm getting more involved in the on-set video village setup, especially for our more run-and-gun documentary-style projects. I constantly hear about the golden rule of having a hard-wired SDI backup for monitors, and I totally get it for critical viewing.
However, in those truly fast-paced scenarios (like when we're moving between multiple locations in a single take, or working with talent who are constantly repositioning, or even just tight, dynamic action scenes) I'm genuinely struggling to see how a physical cable running back to a primary monitor remains practical. We've tried longer cables, but it just creates more trip hazards and setup time.
In what real-world, high-pressure shooting situations have you found hard-wired SDI to become genuinely impractical? And, crucially, what's your go-to, reliable alternative when that happens? I'm talking about the next best thing for confidence monitoring when a cable simply isn't an option.