Feedback on Indie Sets: When is 'Candor Without Cruelty' not enough?

Posted by Marcus Johnson in Story & Concept Development 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Marcus, a director/writer here. I've been wrestling with how to get the most honest, constructive feedback on my current indie short, a dark comedy with a tight turnaround. We're talking limited budget, skeleton crew, and a lot of folks who've worked together on other projects for years, including some actors I've known for a decade.

I'm always hearing about the Pixar 'Brain Trust' model ('candor without cruelty') as the gold standard for creative review. I've tried to implement aspects of it, encouraging open discussion and emphasizing that notes are for the project, not personal. But on set, with the clock ticking and those pre-existing relationships (some of them boss/employee dynamics on other gigs), it feels... different.

So, my genuine question is: When does that textbook 'candor without cruelty' approach not work as effectively on a fast-paced indie set, especially with established hierarchies or deep personal history among the crew and cast? What are the blind spots or limitations?

More in Story & Concept Development