Paid PM Software vs. Free Tools for Indie Productions?
Hey everyone,
I'm Erik, a sound mixer, and I've been getting more involved on the production side of things for some indie shorts and a low-budget feature. Up to now, we've been using a mix of Celtx for scripts and Google Sheets for everything else, call sheets, schedules, budgets, you name it. It gets the job done, but it also feels like a lot of manual cross-referencing and updates, especially when changes happen.
I've seen a lot of chat about tools like StudioBinder and other paid production management software. For projects with very limited budgets, where every dollar counts towards what ends up on screen, at what point does the efficiency and streamlined workflow of these paid platforms genuinely outweigh their cost? Is it a certain budget threshold, crew size, or complexity of schedule? Or are there specific features that became absolute game-changers for any of you?
Just trying to figure out when it’s worth making that leap. Thanks for any insights!