Character Arcs: 'Want vs. Need' Pitfalls I'm Missing?

Posted by Ngozi Emeka in Story & Concept Development 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

Ngozi here. I'm deep into outlining a new pilot and really focusing on my protagonist's 'want vs. need' dynamic to drive their arc. I've been trying to make the internal conflict clear, showing how their initial desire ultimately clashes with what they truly require for growth.

But as I'm doing it, I can't shake the feeling I might be overthinking or, worse, falling into some common traps. I’ve tried making the 'want' very explicit early on and the 'need' a slow burn, but sometimes it feels a bit too schematic. Looking back on your own experiences, what are some of the most frequent mistakes you've seen new screenwriters make when building character arcs based on this 'want vs. need' principle? Are there specific pitfalls that often lead to arcs feeling forced, underdeveloped, or just not surviving the edit?

More in Story & Concept Development