AI, C2PA, and Human Authorship: Focus Puller's Dilemma

Posted by Raj Patel in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone, Raj Patel here. I'm a focus puller and I've been wrestling with something lately. With the sheer amount of generative AI tools out there now, and the emergence of standards like C2PA, I'm wondering how this is impacting folks, especially regarding documenting our human input. I regularly work on projects with cameras like an AMIRA or a V-RAPTOR XL. I'm making hundreds of tiny, deliberate choices each shoot: pulling racks, hitting marks, adjusting for depth of field. These are all creative decisions, driven by a human eye and hand, not an algorithm.

I’ve been trying to be more diligent with my prep notes, adding timestamps and detailed rationale, but it feels clunky and frankly, sometimes like overkill for something so instinctively human. For instance, explaining why I chose to keep the background slightly softer on a close-up shot with an AMIRA and an ARRI Signature Prime, even when the director asked for 'everything sharp,' because it drew better attention to the actor's face. How are you all proving that a human made those decisions, especially as AI gets better at mimicking our work? Has C2PA even entered your workflow yet? I'm curious about practical methods, not just theoretical discussions. What's working for you?

More in Cinematography