Avoiding HDR Workflow Disasters - Seeking Advice from Experienced DPs/Colorists

Posted by Liam Hartigan in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Liam Hartigan, a focus puller, and I've been seeing more and more HDR deliverables come up, especially on some of the commercial gigs I've done recently with an ARRI ALEXA 35 and an AMIRA. I'm trying to get a better handle on the whole HDR workflow, thinking about my own career growth.

My main question is: what are the most critical pitfalls to avoid when working with HDR? I'm talking about things that can really screw up a project. Specifically, I've heard warnings about treating HDR like 'brighter SDR,' or mistakes stemming from grading SDR-first. Also, I'm genuinely curious about the implications of accidentally feeding Rec.709 LUTs into HDR monitors on set, does this happen often, and what are the immediate red flags or long-term consequences?

Any insights on common mistakes or things to watch out for would be hugely appreciated. What are the big no-nos in HDR that DPs and colorists often encounter?

More in Cinematography