Practical Lighting Pitfalls for Beginners: Seeking Wisdom

Posted by Tyler Morrison in Cinematography 0 views · 3 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm a camera operator, mostly working on narrative shorts and commercials with gear like an ALEXA 35 or V-RAPTOR XL. I've been reflecting on my own journey and remembering how many times practical lights threw a wrench in my plans early on. I'm trying to mentor some newer folks, and I want to give them solid advice.

From your experience, what are the absolute most common mistakes beginners make when it comes to practical lighting? I'm talking specifically about bulb selection, understanding dimming capabilities (or lack thereof), and those sneaky CRI/TLCI issues that can really mess up skin tones or matching a clean source like an LS 600d Pro. How can these be avoided from the get-go? What's the best advice to give someone just starting out in this area?

More in Cinematography